The press & railway terminology

Unfortunately on the extremely rare instances of railway accidents without or with fatalities,  press & TV reporters seem unable to use the correct vocabulary for railway related items.

They borrow terms related to motoring- the … came off on a sharp corner- rather than a curve in the track. Then the most inappropriate- “the …. skidded or swerved off the track”.

The term train tracks or rail tracks (that’s like saying rail rails!) seems to have crept into common usage, rather than the more correct railway tracks.

I’ve heard ballast referred to as shingle or gravel, the list goes on…. confusion between locomotives, carriages and multiple units.

Obviously we have reached an era when interest in transport systems  in ones youth, other than cars, passed the reporters by.

We won’t mention their lack of knowledge of railway safety systems or acknowledgement of the rarity of railway accidents & fatalities when compared to  motoring.

and some of them call themselves transport correspondents..