For 2014 our Jubilee year we are re-introducing a modelling competition to the club’s activities.
This year the competition will be judged by visitors to our annual open day in late October and the rules are as follows
50th Anniversary Modelling Competition – known as the ‘Alf Rolph Modelling Competition’
To celebrate our 50 years ‘in the business’, the club would like to invite all members to take part in the 2014 modelling competition. The item submitted can be anything of your choice, from a diorama to a small working layout, providing it fits the criteria below.
1. The model should be able to fit inside a cube that measures 50 cm x 50 cm x 50 cm
2. The model can be in any scale/gauge combination but it does not have to operate
3. There should be some reference to the club in the model – it could be as simple as a banner or a figure of a particular club member – you choose.
4. The model should be completed in time for display and judging by the 2014 Open Day
5. Judging will take place at the Open Day by public ballot
6. The winner will be awarded a Modeller’s Cup that they can keep for 1 year.
7, Tony Bettger has donated prizes of £10 for 1 st place £5 for 2nd place and £2.50 for 3 rd place
A long time modeller and club member, he scratch and kit built a number of fine GWR locos in 0 gauge for a small layout in his shed at home. He had two serious operations in his later life, but still managed to drive himself to the club regularly. With Martin Hill he built a 40′ long gauge 0 club layout called Woodchurch a fictitious station on the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton line. He was made an honorary member around 2007 and died in 2009 aged 85