THE 4th ANNUAL OPEN DAY OF THE LIPHOOK & DISTRICT MODEL RAILWAY CLUB
was held on SUNDAY 27th OCTOBER 2013 at the Milland Valley Memorial Hall, Iping Road, Milland, Liphook GU30 7NA between 10-30am and 3-30pm
Not an exhibition more an expanded club meeting to which the public are invited and where we welcome the opportunity to answer your questions on “how did you do that?” and chat about model railways
LOTS OF FUN FOR BOYS (AND GIRLS!) FROM 8 to 80!
We will have at least six club/ member’s layouts-probably more-in a variety of scales and track gauges plus new layouts in various stages of construction drawn from the following list
- Ehrwald-N scale German outline set in a German/ Austrian mountain area by Ben Russ Club Chairman
- Friedrichstrasse- Club Layout- German HO scale city centre through station under construction- complete with display of plans and research for layout. Has a tentative invitation for a 2015 exhibition
- Yamanouchi Oshika-Club Layout-N scale Japanese outline- An old favourite. The layout will be appearing at Wycrail, High Wycombe 2013 on the following Saturday 2nd November and has an invite for Rotarail at Fareham in 2014
- Kanjiyama– N scale Japanese branch line terminus by member Nick Harling
- Hawkhurst –00 scale Southern/BR (S) Long gone prototype branch line terminus recreated in model form by members Eric and Andrew King
- The Wipers, Fish-Hook and Menin Railway– First World War Military narrow gauge railways at the front line Sn2 1:64 scale/ 9 mm track gauge – new layout by Matt Wildsmith Club Secretary
- Whitchurch Canonicorum – N scale British outline layout of a fictious branch line in Dorset. This is part of a much larger new home layout Cranmere Vale, which is under construction by member David Cook.(he layout was not designed for exhibiting, so will not be operational.)
- Saint Marc-Sur Mer–HO scale French outline -new layout under construction- by member Tony Bettger using some scenic boards originally developed for Weyford, the club’s former 00 scale British outline layout (May be held back due to pressure on space)
- Warehouse District –HO scale American outline switching (shunting) yard set in Milwaukee- by members Tony Bettger & Bob Robinson
- More details and pictures on club and members layouts pages.
and as always plenty of seats to sit and watch the trains. Remember we like to be interupted with those model railway questions you have…
NOTE:Those layouts identified as under construction will not be operational. For this open day, with our small band of members and volunteers, it will not always be possible for all layouts to be operating continuously.
Displays and Demonstrations
Model figure painting by member Martin Hill
Scheme for proposed German (1:45) O scale layout Soltendieck using Lenz rolling stock and DCC control plan and research papers
American G scale & HO scale trams (subject to available space)
Club Secondhand Table:-model railway bits and bobs
Refreshments: Tea, Coffee, Soft drinks and Homemade Cake and biscuits . All thanks to members wives for operating our “Refresment Room” and preparing and cooking the homemade goodies.
Free off street parking
The venue is wheelchair friendly, with toilet facilities for the disabled.
ADULTS:£1.50 FAMILY (2+2) £3
All proceeds to the L&DMRC
This is the ideal event for local model railway club exhibition managers to see at first hand the range of layouts available currently for their exhibitions, from our club and our members. Also they can discuss likely availability of new layouts, in planning or under construction, for exhibitions in late 2014 and 2015.
POST SHOW NOTE
The show was held as indicated, although with Saint Marc-Sur-Mer not attending, replaced by John Buttery’s American outline HO South River Terminal making a total of nine layouts. Attendance was reasonable and all-members and visitors seemed to enjoy themselves. A heavy rainstorm after lunchtime reduced afternoon attendance considerably. The event covered costs and the club made a small surplus.
Updated September 2013/ October 2013